Select a date to register.
This class builds upon the concepts covered in Captivate – Beyond the Essentials. In this course you will explore how to create responsive projects that adapt to fit any screen size, whether it be mobile, tablet or desktop. With mobile learning becoming a large percentage of eLearning, it is important to understand how to adapt your projects to this new environment.
You begin by exploring the responsive interface within Captivate. You then take a look at the HTML5 environment and its benefits and limitations. You move on to create custom breakpoints and adapt project content to accommodate these breakpoints. You will learn how to control themes, styles, and content for various screens sizes. You will learn the benefits of using smart positioning for content when building projects for multiple screen sizes. You will explore how to modify non-responsive content to adapt to a responsive design. Finally, learn how to take advantage of tools for testing responsive projects.
Who Should Attend
This course is for people who have been using Captivate and want to build responsive Captivate projects that automatically adapt to fit the screen size of the device whether it be mobile, tablet or desktop.
- A practical working knowledge of Mac OS X or Windows
- Captivate Essentials - An Introduction to Captivate class or equivalent experience
Note: The curricula below comprise activities typically covered in a class at this skill level. The instructor may, at his/her discretion, adjust the lesson plan to meet the needs of the class.
Lesson 1: Working with Responsive Projects
- What is a responsive project?
- Responsive design overview
- HTML5 vs SWF Formats
Lesson 2: HTML5 incompatibility
- HTML5 limitations
- HTML5 compatibility issues
- Replacing incompatible content
- The HTML5 Tracker
Lesson 3: Sizing a Responsive Project
- Viewport sizes and screen sizes
- What is a breakpoint?
- Customize Breakpoints
- Planning for breakpoints
- Managing breakpoint layouts
Lesson 4: Adjusting styles for responsive projects
- Applying a responsive theme
- Customize theme colors
- Using master slides in responsive projects
- Ensuring text compatibility
- Creating responsive text
- Formatting text for different screen sizes
- Using pixel and percent positioning
- Use the Position Inspector
- Setting Relative Positioning
Lesson 5: Creating Responsive Designs
- Responsive project workflow
- Adding content in a responsive project
- Understanding the view hierarchy
- Excluding content from views
Lesson 6: Positioning Objects in a Responsive Project
- Sizing and positioning content in a responsive project
- Controlling objects
- What is smart positioning?
- Using smart positioning
- Smart positioning to other objects
- Linking objects
Lesson 7: Working with Responsive Content
- Making images responsive
- Adding video
Lesson 8: Replacing Non-Responsive Content
- What content should be replaced?
- Replacing content for responsive designs
- Converting to responsive content
- Advanced action replacements
- Working with shared actions
Lesson 9: Responsive Quizzes and simulations
- Creating responsive quizzes
- Responsive simulations
Lesson 10: Testing a Responsive Project
- HTML5 Tracker
- Previewing a responsive project
- Previewing methods
- Previewing and testing tools
- Testing in a browser
- Testing with Adobe Edge Inspect